At Paladin, we want to create games that make you smile. Our goal is to create high-quality, wholesome games that have a positive impact on people. Now, Paladin is looking for a Lead Game Designer. Your responsibility, along with other stakeholders, is to execute on the game’s vision, ensuring a high quality benchmark, and managing both the design discipline and project team. To say the least, you have a knack for game feel, you know how to polish the gameplay experience, and you know how to lead and inspire others.
- Play a key role in defining, maintaining, and communicating the creative vision for your game to ensure a fun and engaging player experience.
- Collaborate with an agile, cross-functional team to turn the game vision into a great player experience.
- Drive gameplay, systems, and content design through all development phases, from concept to live operations.
- Rapidly respond to and iterate on feedback and performance indicators by providing both high-level direction and hands-on design implementation.
- Partner with product, leadership, and stakeholders to drive the game schedule, including the roadmap and backlog.
- Exemplify proven game design practices to the team and mentor junior designers to help them level up.
What we are looking for:
- Extensive experience as a game designer who has worked on complete production cycles from concept to ship.
- Deep knowledge of game theory and design best practices.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey designs clearly to team members, leadership and stakeholders.
- Proactive and self-motivated with the ability to deliver high-quality designs on time.
- Experience mentoring other game designers or serving as the lead of a feature or team.
What could help:
- Physics based game experience
- Multiplayer game development experience
- Experience working with existing IP
- Experience managing interdisciplinary teams
- Strong Communicator: You talk the language of multiple disciplines and can easily translate ideas for others to understand
- Creativity: You are able to come up with original and innovative ideas and solutions or implement those from someone else
- Accountability: Taking responsibility for your own actions and sharing those of your colleagues
- Flexibility: Adapting to reach a certain goal
- Initiative: Recognizing and creating opportunities
- 2-3 full cycle products as a senior/lead designer, with experience in mobile game development a plus.
- Experience as a senior / lead designer on at least 2 shipped products.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills.
- Read, write and talk excellent English.
- Able to work at our office in The Hague
- Able to work 40 hours per week
Are you qualified?
We would much rather read your application, than miss out on a great candidate. So please apply if you are interested!
Paladin has five core values that we’re looking for in team members:
- Kaizen: We make positive changes on a regular basis
- Spark: We leave a mark, providing a positive experience for everyone involved
- Wholehearted: We love the work we do, and we commit to our work
- Fellowship: We are in this together
- Autonomy: We make decisions and take responsibility for our actions
- A place in a highly motivated and skilled team
- Positive, healthy work environment
- 25 days of vacation and 5 additional national holidays per year
- Coaching and plenty of opportunities for personal development
- Competitive salary, a pension plan and other benefits
- Remote work possibilities & flexible hours
- Relocation support
We work in autonomous development teams. This ensures tight communications, a real sense of ownership and truly agile development.
In our weekly show & tell meetings, every team shares their progress and all aspects of the company can be discussed. We believe in transparency and autonomy, and this creates a high degree of freedom and responsibility.
Our take on the post-Covid work situation
We value our team spirit, a healthy work life balance and company culture. This is why we adopted a hybrid structure that allows us to work from home and in the studio. This is why we would like you to be able to come into the studio every once in a while. We will offer support during the relocation proces.
If you prefer to work remote, we are open to finding a way to make that work. However, we prefer candidates to be roughly in the same time zone to ensure in sync work routines with the rest of the team.
ABOUT PALADIN STUDIOS
We create games that make people smile – be it a sweet twinkle, loud laugh, or evil grin.
Paladin is a game developer. Our basecamp is in The Hague but we are currently working remote due to COVID-19. We are a team of 35 knights and growing. Our mission is to create games with a spark, for players all over the world. We achieve this goal by being a world-class game studio with soul, that brings out the best in people. That means a studio filled to the brim with creativity, professionalism, and good vibes.
Some of our recent games include:
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound good? Awesome! To apply, please fill in the application form.