The back-end developer designs and implements Paladin’s server-side infrastructure and game-code. You work directly with your back-end colleagues and other game developers across Scrum teams.
Your mission is to develop optimal, scalable and maintainable server code for our games. You work on games played by thousands of players across the world, and all the challenges that come with building the back-end for live mobile multiplayer games. In addition, you implement, improve and maintain CI/CD and diverse Ops Tools.
- Design and implement server-side game features and functionalities
- Create stable & scalable back-end systems for live environments with thousands of players
- Collaborate with game designers, artists, and Unity developers
- Work with and improve our existing back-end systems
- Contribute to the performance of the company-wide Tech team
- Deliver on sprint commitments, and provide maximum value to the sprint deliverables
- Deliver code up to par with Paladin’s coding guidelines
- Minimize bugs, and find effective solutions for technical issues
- Maintain live projects with new features, optimizations, and bug fixes
- Ability to be the main server-side engineer for a game project
- Implement and improve current CI/CD processes, maintain and monitor live games
- Experience with NodeJS
- Experience with AWS/Heroku
- Experience with client-facing API’s
- Experience with different back-end architectures (monolith, micro-services, serverless)
- Nice to have: Experience with Docker
- Nice to have: Experience with Unity and/or C#
- Nice to have: live-ops and/or game-industry experience
- Review team member codes and provide good feedback
- Be open to receive feedback and make an effort to implement the suggested improvements
- Provide accurate time and effort estimates
- Familiar with Scrum and able to work with a Scrum team
ABOUT OUR PLATFORMS
- We run applications across multiple cloud infrastructures from Heroku to AWS. (AWS services include: EC2, ECS, Lambda, Fargate)
- Most server-side logic is NodeJS, some of our applications are using Python and .NET C#
- Our databases are MongoDB and Redis
- We monitor service health using tools like NewRelic and DataDog
We are open to adopt new technologies and tools
- 3+ years of experience with server-side development or proven achievements in the field
- Career goal to further specialize in server-side technology
- Read, write and speak excellent English
- Able to work 40 hours per week at our studio in The Hague
Paladin has five core values that we’re looking for in team members:
Kaizen: We make positive changes on a regular basis
Spark: We leave a mark, providing a positive experience for everyone involved
Wholehearted: We love the work we do, and we commit to our work
Adventure: We go off the beaten track
Autonomy: We make decisions and take responsibility for our actions
- Diverse and challenging projects
- A place in a highly motivated and skilled team and an ambitious company
- Positive, healthy work environment
- Coaching and plenty of opportunities for personal development
- A high degree of freedom and responsibility
- Competitive salary and benefits
We work in autonomous development teams of 6-12 people. This ensures tight communications, a real sense of ownership and truly agile development.
In our weekly round table meetings, all aspects of the company are discussed. We believe in transparency and autonomy, and this creates a high degree of freedom and responsibility. (Note that this is not for everyone, so please only apply if this concept appeals to your inner pirate!).
For more information, see paladinstudios.com.
ABOUT PALADIN STUDIOS
We create games that make people smile – be it a sweet twinkle, loud laugh, or evil grin.
Paladin is an independent game development studio based in The Hague, The Netherlands. We are a team of 55+, and growing fast. Our mission is to create games with a spark for players all over the world. We achieve this goal by being a world-class game studio with soul, that brings out the best in people. That means a studio filled to the brim with creativity, professionalism, and good vibes.
Some of our recent games include:
We are working on several new exciting games. Onward to ever more adventures!
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound good? Awesome! To apply, please fill in the application form. First come, first serve. Please link to your portfolio and CV, or add them as attachments.