Due to our recent successes, we are looking to grow the team with an experienced level designer. This role will play a critical part in the development of a new console game, our most ambitious project to date.
Level design is where the rubber hits the road. The level designer creates innovative, high quality levels that provide a great player experience.
They make sure that the levels, game mechanics and content align with the vision for the game. They create levels that hit the “sweet spot” of challenge and ease-of-use, and that make players smile. It’s all about the fun!
- Design of great game experiences that invite players to embark on a remarkable and memorable journey.
- Innovative levels that challenge and delight the player.
- Excellent teamwork within a multidisciplinary team of artists, programmers and other designers.
- Level designs that seamlessly weave the narrative, themes and mechanics of the game together to create a compelling and engaging gameplay experience.
- Single levels from early concept to final product, in line with the production and design pipeline.
- Sets of levels from early concept to final product, that create an intuitive difficulty flow throughout the entire game and that aligns with the player’s incremental mastery of the game.
- Concise and clear documentation that communicates well and resonates with the game’s vision.
- Active contribution to other facets of game design and game production.
- Active contributions to the design team with feedback and other improvements.
- Strong UX and level design skills
- A deep understanding of the technical and creative level design process
- Experimentation mindset and strong creative problem solving skills
- Hands-on experience with Unity or similar game engines
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to work well in a team
- Creativity, foresight and imagination to flesh out a game’s content on different levels
- Ability to “step into the player’s shoes” and a strong focus on the User Experience
- Ability to deliver high quality work within allocated timelines
- A love for making and playing games
- 5+ years of game design experience, with experience in level design
- Experience as a level designer on at least one shipped game
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills
- Excellent English communication skills (verbal and written)
- Able to work 40 hours per week at our office in The Hague
- Understanding of Dutch is a plus
Paladin has six core values that we’re looking for in team members:
- Spark: We leave a mark, providing a positive experience for everyone involved.
- Wholehearted: We love the work we do, and we commit to our work.
- Kaizen: We make positive changes on a regular basis.
- Synergy: We combine our individual strengths to achieve our goals.
- Adventure: We go off the beaten tracks.
- Autonomy: We make decisions and take responsibility for our actions.
- Diverse and challenging projects
- A place in a highly motivated and skilled team and an ambitious company
- Positive, healthy work environment
- Coaching and plenty of opportunities for personal development
- A high degree of freedom and responsibility
- Competitive salary and benefits
In our weekly "round table meetings", all aspects of the company are discussed. We believe in transparency and autonomy, and this creates a high degree of freedom and responsibility. (Note that this is not for everyone, so please only apply if this concept appeals to your inner pirate!).
For more information, see paladinstudios.com and paladinstudios.com/blog.
We create games that make people smile – be it a sweet twinkle, loud laugh, or evil grin.
Paladin is a game developer based in The Hague, The Netherlands. We are a team of 55+ knights, and have been growing fast for the past few years. Our mission is to create games with a spark, for players all over the world. We achieve this goal by being a world-class game studio with soul, that brings out the best in people. That means a studio filled to the brim with creativity, professionalism, and good vibes.
Some of our recent games include:
We are currently working on our next generation of games, focusing on console, PC and mobile platforms.
How to apply
Does this sound good? Awesome! To apply, please fill in the application form and we'll get back to you ASAP. We look forward to hearing from you!